Building your own box fan filter is a great way to reduce the amount of dust in your workspace. And you can build it for just about the cost of the fan and a suitable filter.
I’m taking that one step further and adding in variable speed motor control inline with the box fan filter itself. For the cost of an additional triac to chop the voltage to the motor I’ll be able to trim the fan speed up or down depending on the amount of noise and airflow I’d like.
If you need a spool holder that does the job and has an optional mounting area for a DC brushless motor, here it is. I still need some refinement of the motorization option. But it’s otherwise functional.
Sure, there were quite a few other spool holders. None of the ones I browsed on Thingiverse had a license I liked. So I created my own.
Feel free to use or modify it! If anyone has suggestions post them up and I’ll accomodate them if they’re something I need.
And I also shot a video of putting it together. Along with the features that I’ve added in so far.
If you haven’t seen it yet Prusa’s i3 Mk3 MMU 2.0 printer module offers up multi-material printing using five pre-loaded filaments with a single extruder. The magic happens with a fairly ingenious filament selector module hanging out above the printer proper.
And it works. The selector is adequate at selecting filaments and I’m not seeing much of an issue with it’s functionality. That’s barring wildly out-of-diameter filament widths (1.9mm+ instead of the spec 1.75mm).
However, there seem to be some teething problems with the software design. One of the issues I’ve come up with on that end is the auto detection and alignment of the MMU 2.0 carriage.
On start the MMU 2.0 seems to be detecting the right end of the carriage too soon. Then it hammers against the left side of the carriage when the MMU 2.0 moves back. It’s using resistance on the stepper motor driver and appears to be very sensitive.
I’ve posted two videos, the first of it working properly and the second of the failing carriage detection. If you’re curious about the MMU 2.0 or are trying to check if what you’re own printer is doing is normal here you go.
While updating my MKS SBase v1.3 to the latest smoothieware software I ran into a bit of a snag. Not a snag you’d find in the actual (recent) Smoothieboards, mind, but a snag that would only occur with the MKS SBase.
As it turns out they’re shipping with a 2014 copy of the Smoothieware firmware. Even as late as 2016! Because of this it won’t read a Fat32 formatted SDcard. Instead you’ll need to format the SDcard with Fat16 for the updated and then can re-format it with Fat32 for storage.
So that’s it! Should you have a MKS SBase board and are having an issue try Fat16 formatting.
While working on a temperature controlled oven for drying out desiccant and plastics I needed a housing for the Max6675 thermocouple controller. I also didn’t want to adapt something to fit. Being in possession of a 3D printer I figured that was just the solution to the problem.
Fortunately someone over on Thingiverse (bradford) had created a design that contained the measurements. A small bit of tweaking later the project was done! Changes to the design account for larger solder joints and make room for jumper cables.
You can find my revamp of the original design along with some pictures of it in action on Thingiverse.
Translucent green PLA was used for the print itself. Layer height was set to .2mm with infill at 15%. Infill type was set to 3D Cube style. Combining those settings in Slic3r Prusa Edition created a durable part.