So I seized the opportunity to make a video of the troubleshooting process. There’ll also be a follow up video on what replaced the original cable.Continue reading Heated Bed Cable Replacement on the Prusa i3 Mk3
Building your own box fan filter is a great way to reduce the amount of dust in your workspace. And you can build it for just about the cost of the fan and a suitable filter.
I’m taking that one step further and adding in variable speed motor control inline with the box fan filter itself. For the cost of an additional triac to chop the voltage to the motor I’ll be able to trim the fan speed up or down depending on the amount of noise and airflow I’d like.Continue reading Box Fan Filter Variable Speed Fan Build
3 months ago I set out to buy the cheapest PLA filament on EBay and see if it was total garbage. And I’ve now printed off about two thirds of the spool.
What’s do the prints look like after printing out a pound and a half of plastic?Continue reading Cheapest PLA Filament on Ebay Print Quality
With the old Craftsman drill press possibly squared I’ve moved on to checking for runout on the chuck. And to that end I’ve created a 3D printed runout gauge holder for round dial indicator.Continue reading Measuring Runout on a Drill Press (3D Printed Tool)
IGUS’s Drylin bushings (RJ4JP-01-08) worked installed in the Prusa i3 Mk3 printer. And they would probably still work to an extent if I left them installed.Continue reading IGUS Drylin Bushings Removed (for now)
Last week I was attempting use the Craftsman bench press to center drill Titanium bolts with HSS drill bits.
As you can see I was successful at drilling and an utter failure at drilling straight. In hindsight assuming that the table was square enough because it had been bolted and pinned in place was a mistake.
Continue reading Drill Press Squaring (with 3D Printed Tool)
If you need a spool holder that does the job and has an optional mounting area for a DC brushless motor, here it is. I still need some refinement of the motorization option. But it’s otherwise functional.
Sure, there were quite a few other spool holders. None of the ones I browsed on Thingiverse had a license I liked. So I created my own.
Feel free to use or modify it! If anyone has suggestions post them up and I’ll accomodate them if they’re something I need.
And I also shot a video of putting it together. Along with the features that I’ve added in so far.
While working on a temperature controlled oven for drying out desiccant and plastics I needed a housing for the Max6675 thermocouple controller. I also didn’t want to adapt something to fit. Being in possession of a 3D printer I figured that was just the solution to the problem.
Fortunately someone over on Thingiverse (bradford) had created a design that contained the measurements. A small bit of tweaking later the project was done! Changes to the design account for larger solder joints and make room for jumper cables.
You can find my revamp of the original design along with some pictures of it in action on Thingiverse.
Translucent green PLA was used for the print itself. Layer height was set to .2mm with infill at 15%. Infill type was set to 3D Cube style. Combining those settings in Slic3r Prusa Edition created a durable part.